Very Cherie-Beaded Jewels

'I've got the world on a string...'



Beads, beads and more beads... brilliant, bold, bright, beautiful beads! They glisten, they sparkle, they shimmer and shine. they come in all sorts of shapes, sizes and textures; round, square, hexagon, bicone, oval, paddle and dagger shaped. They also come in flower and leaf shapes and so many others. The patterns on them are bold, flowery and pretty, geometric, abstract or psychedelic or exotic and in all the colors of the rainbow. They are translucent, opaque, matte, textured, shimmery, irridiscent, bumpy. Beads can be made of clay, metal, blown glass, lampworked; handmade or machine made locally or in far away places like Europe, Asia and Africa. They can be strung on wire, silk, cord, leather, ribbon or embroidery floss or woven into beautiful, stunning jewelry. Beaded jewelry can be worn everyday to work or a fun day at the beach; an evening out or a gala event.



I am fascinated with beading. I find it so relaxing. Just stringing them or weaving, picking up a bead, another and then another - the action is so repetitive... it's almost meditative. As you add the beads and watch your design grow, the joy and satisfaction of seeing the end result - a beautiful piece of jewelry; that is so fulfilling!



Saturday, August 7, 2010

Razzle Dazzle Crystals

This bracelet was the very first piece of jewelry I made two years ago.  I loved beaded jewelry and I happened to see a bracelet on one of my piano students.  I asked her about it and she said she went to a beading class.  I wanted to take a class too and I ended up going with my daughter and my student and her mother.  We went to a beading store 'Beady I' in a quaint village in Bronte owned by Allie Savage.  I was enthralled by the beads, crystals, pearls and semi-precious stones that filled the walls and shelves.  they were so irrisistable. I could spend the whole day there... Michelle Matthews, one of the assistants there taught the class and I was hooked. They are so knowledgeable and warm and friendly and ever willing to help with my  never-ending questions.  Came home with enough to do more earrings for my daughters and myself.  I also picked up one of their magazines 'Canadian Beading Magazine';  Allie is the editor; and decided to participate in the competition featured in the magazine. I went back for a couple more classes on wire wrapping loops and making a wire wrapped ring and a couple more on christmas decoration and weaving a crystal ball.  I made earrings to match my bracelet and later on a  ring. These are my favorite colors.  Some may think the color combination is strange but I love the way the blues, greens and browns go together and the sparkle when the light hits the crystal is just awesome and I added a little butterfly dangle that just seems to go with those colors.

2 comments:

  1. I'm blown away by all the things you show that you've beaded! You've got to post individual pics Cheryl! I love making things with seed beads and smaller beads, and it looks as though you do too.. I'd really love to see your Christmas decorations. Actually I'd love to see it all, but the ornaments fascinate me. They look like huge earrings. I do like the colors of the crystals you used in the ring, bracelet and earring set you have pictured. Those shades of brown, blue and grean go well together. Weaving a crystal ball? I'd be interested in seeing that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're looking at the other picture, that is a photo my friend took when we were getting ready for my home party. That fancy doll like thing is something to hang earrings on. There are some Chinese looking earrings ( red and black)I made with silver chain hanging. There aren't any ornaments there. I have a beaded poinsetta napkin ring which I will post later. I am in the process of making a beaded christmas ball ornament. Will take a while as I do a bit at a time!

    ReplyDelete